How to Buy a Diaper Bag
When you think about it, choosing the right diaper bag is one of the most important purchasing decisions you’ll make as a young parent. After all, you’ll rely on this bag every single day for the next few years!
A smart diaper bag keeps you organized and well prepared. It allows you to find what you need in a hurry. It makes outings with baby less stressful and more enjoyable.
When selecting a diaper bag, first consider your life style. Do you like to travel light, or pack for every possible situation? Are you most comfortable with a strap over your shoulder, or a hands-free backpack? Do you plan to carry a purse as well? Needless to say, your diaper bag should be an extension of your own personal style!
Not all bags are created equal—but how can you spot a winner? We posed this question to our buyers, product development team and Parent’s Panel members—and here’s what they told us:
Features to Look for:
- Quality construction. Look for sturdy fabrics, strong seams and padded shoulder straps/carry handles.
- A smart design, with multiple compartments that keep items organized and easy to find.
- Two-way zippers, for quick access to contents.
- A self-standing base, so the bag won’t tip over.
- Side pockets for holding bottles (preferably insulated).
- Outside zippered pockets for keys and other small essentials.
- A high-visibility lining that makes it easy to see what’s inside.
- Snap hooks to hold baby’s pacifier or toy.
- Made of easy to clean materials, inside and out.
- A classic, stylish look. A great-looking bag should be able to live on as a travel tote, beach or gym bag long after your diaper days are over!
Over the last decade, we’ve tested hundreds of diaper bags. Some were good, but none were perfect, so we decided to make our own diaper bags. Our product development team combined all the features we liked and added a few special touches—then created various designs to suit different lifestyles.
How To Buy A Stroller
Planning Your Family Vacation: Traveling with Kids